View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Somisorange (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Skype™ to Somisorange
First Time to Japan, Itinerary comment needed, pls :) - 02-15-2010, 11:10 AM

Hi, I'm Som from Thailand and I'm new to this forum. I'd gone through some of the posts and found that people here are very helpful and possess insight tips for new comers

I have my trip to Japan planned and would like to have some comments and suggestions from you. The trip will start from March 27, 2010 (fly from Bangkok to Osaka) to April 5 (fly from Narita to Bangkok). There will be only my friend and I, we are both female from Thailand and just graduate -- so we are on a budget trip and we only need to stay safe, moderate eat (would rather have it like local), flea market, and travel off-beaten track

Mar 27: Leave Bangkok around midnight
Mar 28*: Arrive Osaka (KIX) by 11am, train to Kyoto (flea market@Koshoji temple, Fushimi Inari)
Mar 29*: Kyoto (Kiyomizudera, Heian Shrine, Nanzenji, Path of Philosophy, Ginkakuji, Gion/Nijo Castle)
Mar 30: Kyoto (Kitano Tenmagu Shrine, Kinkakuji, Ryoanji, Nishiki Food Market, Gion/Nijo Castle)
Mar 31*: Tokyo (Sumida Cruise, Asakusa, Ueno, Ameyoko, Akihabara)
Apr 1*: Tokyo's Tsukiji Fish market + Hakone
Apr 2*: Kamakura for half a day and head to Shizuoka
Apr 3*: Shizuoka (Shizuoka festival, Nihondira, Hagiwara strawberry farm)
Apr 4*: Tokyo (Aoyama Cemetery, Takeshitadori, Harajuku, Meiji-jingu, Shibuya, Shinjuku, Metro building, Nakameguro, Tokyo Tower/Odaiba)
Apr 5: Wrap-up(maybe buy souvenir @Asakusa), Leave for Narita around 10am for flight at 1pm.

We have booked rooms for our trip already because of visa application. We will stay in Kyoto on Mar 28-29, spend a night in Tokyo on March 31, Hakone on Apr 1, and stay in Shizuoka on April 2. Then, we will spend the rest (Apr 3-4) in Tokyo (Asakusa area).

Problems are:
- I'm not sure if we should take an overnight bus from Kyoto to Tokyo on Mar 30, to save money and time.
- If we don't take an overnight bus from Kyoto to Tokyo, the other option is JR shinkansen, which means we have to book a room for Mar 30's night either in Kyoto or Tokyo. Which would be good?
- According to my plan, do you think it is better to buy a JR rail pass?
- Do you know where is the best place to overlook Odaiba and rainbow bridge at night and take a picture?
- Is it possible to squeeze Arashiyama and Eigamura into my Kyoto trip During Mar 28 - 30?

I'm very excited for the trip and will sure share more update or reviews when I know more about the trip. I'm looking forward to seeing your advices and Thank you very much for all your help!

PS. I know this is quite too much in detail, but it is our first time traveling abroad alone. So, we want to make sure that we won't mess things up.