View Single Post
(#26 (permalink))
Old
StangGuy (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-28-2010, 05:17 AM

MMM, Kroger is the parent company of Fred Meyer. Here in the pacific NW we have Fred Meyer and most other places have Kroger.

I live north of Seattle and the grocery stores here have sushi packaged similarly to what you would find in a Japanese market. However in the big chain stores, it is usually limited to amaebi, maguro, hirame, and salmon nigiri as well as maki sushi. It isn't of very good quality. You can tell it has been frozen multiple times by looking at it and the texture of the fish is severely degraded and is of similar quality to most of the fast food type teriyaki restraunts. I don't eat it and tell my coworkers to avoid it because we have much better choices. The stores also don't usually have the neccesary ingredients to make your own sushi.

In additon to the large chains that carry sushi there are two local chains that have full japanese groceries. One is a dedicated Japanese grocery store and the other is a gourmet market focused on selling local produce and meat as well as foods for the large asian population. Both of these places sell good quality sushi of all varieties using all the toppings common to sushi in Japan.