View Single Post
(#13 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-06-2010, 07:53 PM

We had to wear uniforms for almost our entire education. Personally I can see why they may be considered beneficial, as others pointed out it makes it very hard for students to bully others based on appearance, as they all would be dressed the same. There's also - as someone else said - an almost element of solidarity, wear there's a sense of 'school spirit', as when you where the uniform you belong to the school and represent it.

That said I can say that bullying occurs regardless, and uniform or not students will always find some reason to pick on others. At our school bullying was rife, I hear some people from abroad in schools without uniforms complaining occasionally that they get picked on for not wearing the right brands, or having the wrong look; we had uniforms and yet people still got bullied for being poor, having the wrong stationary or accesories, etc. Oddly in college - where we had no uniform - there was very little bullying and a large ammount of tolerance, and in fact creativity and uniqueness were looked upon a lot more favorably than being one of the crowd.

I guess my point is there's pro's and con's to both sides of the argument :P Personally I'm rather indifferent, because no matter what people have they will always argue the other way is better.