View Single Post
(#13 (permalink))
Old
ModusOperandi (Offline)
JF Regular

03-26-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
No, they can't. They will encounter the same issues with other western owned companies until they build their own internal search engine that is comparable.
I’d assume that, even if the service/ business is locally owned when contrasted with what they were originally using, it would be considered as taking their business elsewhere. But that is semantics so I’m just being picky with this argument.

Quote:
Google didn't really lose, they just failed to gain. That isn't the same thing. And despite that set back in their business plan, no major competitor is stepping into the breach yet.
I’m not sure I understand. Could you clarify this further?
As far as I’ve understood the situation, google was already an established service in China, that means they were raking in some amount of revenue from advertisements and other forms of google/web related income. By shutting down their services due to moral implications they have already eliminated all prospects of profit that would have come from China. In other words, every time someone doesn’t click on a google ad, (who would have otherwise done so) it would be considered a loss for google.
So I’m basically having a hard time understanding how they don’t lose, but instead, failed to gain when they've eliminated China's userbase from the equation.