View Single Post
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Sitron (Offline)
Banned

04-04-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
You still didn't answer why Japanese would be more useful? By your logic, all three of your languages are more spoken in Europe than Japanese, so why Japanese?

My logic is that France is just like any other European country, hence the no need to learn it. Japan can offer me something different.
Quote:
As for all your knowledge of France, have you actually lived in France before? Do you have any idea why year after year, it's either first or second when it comes to Quality of Life?
It depends on which lists you read. According to the UN and the Economist, it mostly is a Scandinavian country that tops the list, usually Norway.

Quote:
And, Germany's economy is bigger, but it definitely isn't "far bigger". But that's besides the point; a bigger economy, doesn't necessarily mean more job opportunities!
Austria and Germany combined have an economy that's 46% bigger than France's, and if you also take Switzerland which is mostly a German speaking country, you get a German speaking economy in Europe that's 60% bigger than France's.

Quote:
For your last sentence, I have no idea where you get your facts from, but these are the ones I've seen with a quick search on google.

In 1999, French was the 11th most common first language in the world, with 77 million first language speakers and another 51 million second language speakers,

Today; spoken as a first language by about 136 million people worldwide. Around 190 million people speak French as a second language, and an additional 200 million speak it as an acquired foreign language.

I see an INCREASE, not a decrease!
What about the world population has it GROWN at the same time? Of course there will be more French speakers in absolute numbers when the African populations are growing! But when you consider the decline of French as a secondary/third language all over the world, several African countries dropping French from the curriculum, and French only being used in 11% of all EU documents now, as opposed to 40% in the 60s EVEN YOU should get a hang of it.

Quote:
Perhaps, you're not getting along with the language so you're trying to find an excuse to drop it!
I didn't even have to look for an excuse. France and French has nothing to offer me.

Quote:
I speak dialects of Berber, Arabic, English and French. Berber and Arabic are TOTALLY useless for me,
Sure Arabic is useless for someone living in one of the 22 ARAB countries in the world. And I'm pretty sure Berber is pretty useless for someone coming from Maghreb....