View Single Post
(#10 (permalink))
Old
edelweiss (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-15-2010, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I think it is a combination of two factors - the amount of money it takes to produce a new show in the US, and being sure to get that money back.
I agree with your POV on this. It's all about making money. That's why perfectly good shows can be gutted or yanked off the air if the money they take to produce doesn't turn a profit.

In 2006 Keifer Sutherland was earning $23 million for his role on 24 and for the last three seasons (6-8) he was paid $40 million. What I've read about the cast of Lost's earnings is unclear but cast members were said to be earning $20,000 - $40,000 per episode as of 2007, with a purported increase in pay of up to $80,000 per ep. A network has to make sure the show is going to be big enough, popular enough and long lasting enough to make that paying their salary worth while.

The tv show Carnivale started off with a complete story set to take place for six seasons and despite critical praise, great writing and a great cast it was canceled after the second season so they tried to cram a lot into season two and it was a complete mess. So having a completed story script is no guarantee for success.

To the OP, which shows specifically are you referring to? No viewer has the same opinion of a shows length and how good it's ending is. YMMV. I know quite a few people that hated the ending of Battlestar Gallactica yet I was perfectly content with it. We'll see if I feel the same way about Lost.