View Single Post
(#588 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

04-21-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasi View Post
I am talking about your standard eikaiwa or ALT job in Japan- there is only so far you can take them. I worked in eikaiwa for 6 years myself, but never considered it a career! I did not mean to offend you or anyone else who is a genuine teacher, which I and many other eikaiwa teachers/ALTs are not because we have zero real training and qualifications. If you consider it your career I am sure you have made the effort to develop your skills and ensure English teaching actually became your career, but the vast majority of people who come here to teach don't, and return to their home countries in less than 2 years.
Which is precisely the issue with English education in Japan, as is discussed in another thread. The angry diatribe wasn't directed at you, and was explained elsewhere. In lieu of repeating myself, I opted to instead just make an [insert here] joke.

I sure as hell better not have paid $70K in university tuition not to have a career as an English teacher, which is what I went to school for. I also make more money than I would in the states right now, largely because of hiring freezes and budget shortfalls. It was my original intent to teach high school literature courses. Japan offered more money. Period.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org

Last edited by Tsuwabuki : 04-21-2010 at 01:59 PM.