View Single Post
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

04-22-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfrainvn View Post
From my perspective of an asian, i think i know it is why such an important issue. I think i it meant more than just to not dirty the floor, it meant the respect of the visitor for the house and the house's owner.

This is a personal experience, when i was i kid i remmerber my parents always tell me to take off my shoes when entering somebody house. This one time i was visiting my friend house who is also asian, i forgot to take off my shoes and he scolded at me " Oi man, take off your shoes, gee asian no respect!!!" It's funny how he said it, that 's why i still remembered it.

So yeah, i think respect and customary are the most approriate explanation why Japanese making such as fuss about it. LOL.... i know this cause i know how asian feel about respect and disrepect.
Yes. As a kid being brought up in a prodominantly Asian household, I developed strict manners. When I was offered something, I usually wouldn't accept it unless it was an obligation; I had to always honor the elders, even if they were mad at me (or vice versa); I always spoke formally to strangers or seniors, unless idicated not to: Those sort of things. They sound more harsh than they really are. I think all cultures have variants of these basic principles, and some form of appreciation thereof; not just Asians.

I was in Australia and Hawaii back then.
It's funny, when I came to live in mainland U.S, all the adults were amazed by how polite I was. I never really got it, at the time. I even got teased at school for my formal langauge -- not to mention my Aussie accent.

Last edited by Jaydelart : 04-22-2010 at 08:00 PM.