View Single Post
(#17 (permalink))
Old
CoreyLynn (Offline)
JF Regular

04-29-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuglife View Post
What are your recommendations and experiences for/from living in Japan.

What is the most important thing??
Teaching English or traveling?

I have seen the effects of uninspiring ALT's who were way over their heads and made English less than fun for everyone around them. Then they leave. Rinse and repeat. Truth be told, some of the "local" foreigners can't teach worth a shit either but the ALT's are almost exclusively shitty.

I hope my posts will save just one whale...er...I mean one child's mind
I think you have a really negative outlook toward this, with good reason, I'm sure.
Just know, that if this was something I decided on, it would be a commitment and I'd want to make it the best situation that I could possibly make for everyone.

I don't want to be a bitter, I-hate-my-job-and-I'm -only-here-for-the-travel, type of person.

Learning a new language is supposed to be a fun and exciting experience that will open up doors for everyone INCLUDING me, if I do decide on this.

All I can think of is my French teacher from last year, who ALWAYS came into class smiling and laughing-loving her job!
She made learning French such a fun and exciting experience. She made that class feel like a family and brought everyone together.

I hope to be able to do that, no matter what I choose to do in life.
Your career and future options need to be for something that will bring you joy.

And I'm still in high school, so I have years before I can even consider making a move there! I can take classes to prepare myself-I can learn all I can NOW to better my chances of making myself and others happier if I go there.

Maybe I sound naive, but oh well.
That's my outlook as of now, and I will commit to anything I decide to do.

But, thank you for your opinion and input.

BlissfulGold

~~~

"I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together."

---Marilyn Monroe