View Single Post
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

05-09-2010, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki View Post
So far, I think the primary use of こと one should focus on is the first one really mentioned, which is called 動名詞 in Japanese. I often hear sentences like あなたの主事を読むことができません, or "I cannot read your calligraphy." In English, as was mentioned, we usually add ing to make a verb into a noun, but as you see above, the translation may not always work out that way. A sentence that shows this pattern might be スケトをすることを楽しみます, or "I enjoy skating." In that case the こと really is serving the exact same function as the ing.
To make your post more persuasive:

1. 動名詞 is not a term used for Japanese grammar. It's a term created for the specific purpose of describing the -ing form of English verbs. The term is not even used for other Indo-European languages.

2. What is 主事? The word you would have wanted to use would be 習字. Check the important (for romaji-users) difference in pronunciation.

3. スケト > スケート. Even with that correction, Japanese speakers still wouldn't say スケートをすることを楽しみます in any natural settings. (English classes aren't natural settings as we are forced to use "strange" Japanese for translation purposes, in case that's where you're coming from.) 「スケート」 alread has the meaning "skating" as well. We would just say スケートが好きです or 大好きです.