View Single Post
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

05-19-2010, 07:41 AM

This article is spot on.

The only cultural value mentioned above I struggle with is the apologies. In America, I not only expect someone to explain their actions, I expect them go over the process of how a mistake was made. The idea is to find the logical missteps and improve the process so that individual does not make the same mistake twice. I could absolutely care less about whether someone apologises, as an apology alone does not show understanding of why or where the person went wrong nor does it show how they will prevent the action in the future. I'd rather have the thought processes and a promise of a prevention plan than an apology.

I also, and I am sure most Americans, put great emphasis on one's willingness to defend a position they believe to be right. There comes a point where one must not let political expediency, whether it is office politics or national politics, dictate your actions and how you view your actions. If someone has a fundamentally opposed view of an action to mine, and is willing to defend it vigorously, I might ask that person to resign and find a job that better fits their views, but I will not lose respect for them. I will certainly not ask for an apology from them.

In that case, I often do find myself having to take a step back when I make a mistake. Since I believe in the golden rule, I expect that I should have the right to explain my actions, offer mitigating circumstances, work on a process for mistake prevention, and then, yes, if warranted, apologise. I also expect that I should be given respect for refusing to apologise when I believe to be unwarranted, and would rather quit as a matter of personal honor. These are far different than refusing to accept blame or personal responsibility, and should not be confused with such.

I have an awful time just saying "I'm sorry" and moving on, which is what the Japanese expect. Especially if I don't believe I am actually in the wrong. In fact I find it incredibly painful. And I am resentful at feeling like I've been blatantly disrespected and humiliated when it happens. Because I am not a cultural or moral relativist, even if I stay in Japan permanently, my attitude on this subject is not likely to change.

I think, in particular, the Japanese criminal justice system would be very hard for me to participate in, as I would expect rights that are not a part of the Japanese Constitution but that I consider inherent, regardless of if they are written down on a piece of paper or not. The right to be silent, the right not to be detained without due process, the right to have a lawyer present during questioning, and the right to a jury trial (which, despite lay judges, Japan doesn't really have). If accused of a crime, I probably would be completely unable to maintain proper Japanese courtroom decorum. I would probably be yelling my head off about the violation of my inherent civil rights. Something tells me that wouldn't sit well with a Japanese judge.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org