View Single Post
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-19-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
That being said, I would hope that this kind of work is not only translated into Japanese, but I would hope that there are some American samples to help Japanese people not "misinterpret" American communication. For example, maybe Americans put more emphasis on eye contact than Japanese, and maybe by not using eye contact it makes you look like an untrustworthy person (to an American). Things like that would be just as important for Japanese to know about. Then again, I think it can't be stressed enough that when speaking Japanese, Japanese communication should be utilized and when speaking American English, American communication should be utilized.
Go to any bookstore in Japan.
There are countless books about communicating in the American style - about how simply using words in English doesn`t make it natural and that there are key things that must be remembered to make up for the cultural differences, etc etc etc. Not to mention that the basics are usually covered in even the crappiest classroom English textbooks (and in most of the Japanese-English/English-Japanese dictionaries I have encountered in Japan.) The information is not only there, but coming from countless directions.
On the other hand, information going the opposite direction - ie. about Japanese styles of communication for Americans - all tend to be geared toward business and are certainly not something frequently encountered by Americans.

Quote:
As an aside, the title says that the traits stated "withstand westernization", but I don't know how that was concluded. I think that just because these traits are being focused on in school doesn't mean that these schools are producing model students with these traits.
I think it is fairly clear. "American style" communication for the world market and the like is pushed pretty hard wherever you turn. As I said earlier, look in any bookstore and you will find tons. Look in any classroom and you`ll see tons.
What this article is pointing out is that values considered traditional have remained important, rather than being passed up for values considered more "western".

It isn`t that the traits are being focused on in school - in fact, I think that is a very minor point. What is being looked at isn`t what is being taught in school, really, but what those who will be teaching consider important. They are the ones being looked at. You don`t say that you find certain values important and believe they need to be emphasized in teaching if you yourself do not feel they are important. These are values, not curriculum - a teacher would be fairly free to stress the values they feel are important. What this shows is that even after years of being fed "American style communication" and the like, values that have been traditionally considered important are still considered important by young adults.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.