View Single Post
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-26-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass View Post
Crap, are you serious? It can't possibly be as bad as America right? Every damn TV show here is about how good celebrities look and which celebrities got fat over the holidays.

Maybe it's the celebrity culture I hate here and how much being good looking and popular is valued here.

I really hate being born here in America because I refuse to buy $1000's of dollars on clothes each year and $1000's of dollars on plastic surgery. I was hoping Japan would be better. I guess maybe not.
9_9 a good proportion of TV shows in Japan have panels of celebrities there simply to look good and pass commentary on the video. Even things utterly unrelated to why they're famous. You get people in Japan who are famous simply for being good-looking. Magazine idols, etc. Not modals, note, idols. And Japanese women can be ruthless when it come to extra weight, with themselves and with other people.

And shopping is HUGE in Japan. Brand names, designer gear, it's all very much in demand, and by men too, not just women.

As for plastic surgery, yes, it's relatively popular. According to some stats, Japan has about 42K procedures per annum, landing it in 4th after the USA, Mexico and Brazil, but Japan's rate is higher than the USA if you take it by per capita (33.6 over 30.7). Generally non-invasive procedures are favored over major body work.