View Single Post
(#2 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

06-08-2010, 07:08 PM

I'm currently waiting for some type of letter or email from Temple University in Tokyo with my acceptance decision.

How long are you staying?: Well, I plan on staying a full year (2 semesters), but if I end up liking the country I'll do another year, in which I'll have finished my degree. I've been granted GI Bill benefits to pay for my schooling for the next two years, so I figured I'd try out a year at least in Japan.

Student Visa process?:Temple made it so easy any idiot could do it. All I had to do was fill out a double sided piece of paper with basic information. Temple will process it for me, and if approved all I have to do is visit my local Japanese embassy and finalize the approval.

Have you heard back from the college yet?:
I've been told I'll be hearing from them within this coming week with my decision.

Did you receive the Jasso Scholarship?:I honestly didn't care to apply for any scholarships. The GI Bill is covering my tuition and books, so I had other important things going on than maybe pocketing some extra cash.

Estimation of how much money you think will be enough for a full year?:
Temple offered a base price of about 30,000 dollars as the estimate for a student to live a modest life, including tuition, housing, food, entertainment, etc. Without tuition and books, I assume you're probably looking at around 10-15K in basic neccesities over a year. All of this depends on the standard of living, so that's fairly modest in my opinion, but if you're happy with ramen everyday and a roof over your head, then you really can't complain.

Your packing plans?:
A military duffel bag for my clothes, and a large suitcase for random loose end neccesities (spare shoes, soaps, a book or two, etc).

Electronic translator?:
Even though my Japanese is less than stellar, I'm just gonna wing it.