View Single Post
(#4 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

06-08-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousee09 View Post
wow $10,000 to $15,000 for a year. I really hope I get that scholarship. I just want to make sure I am able to buy food,travel and have transporation.
That may sound like a lot, but I'm sure this is assuming you'll have access to some kind of monthly income (unless you're very wealthy and just have 15K sitting in a bank).
If your school will let you stay at their dorms for the entire year, then you've already gotten the hardest thing out of the way.

Quote:
I am trying to decide whether I want a prepaid cellphone or contact phone while im there...i might need to stick with a prepaid or rent cellphone.
I don't think that's something you should worry about too much. You'll always have email until you can arrange something.

Quote:
I know hiragana, im learning katakanta, and 1st grade kanji...and i basicallly know how to have a very light conversation. I can ask alot of questions tho ^_^.
I'm at about the same level as you. Fortunately, I'm actually required to study Japanese every semester for my major, so I'll be able to reinforce what I already know but also have a good, structured environment to help me ease into the more difficult concepts.

Quote:
I am definitely getting an electionic dictionary!
I myself can't justify the prices companies charge for them. If I can access a translating app offline via my iPhone, I'll just make sure to download that before I leave.

Quote:
I was thinking about leaving earlier like in August to stay for a weeks in Tokyo before college, because I was going to stay with a friend but I'm starting to think that is a bad idea.... I need to perserve all the money I can.
Granted, my school is located in Tokyo, but I'll be leaving no earlier than a week before school starts. The dorms aren't open until then, and I don't want to have to pay for a hotel any longer than I have to. My advice would be to probably hold off on visiting your friend if you're not sure. You're going to be there for an entire year, and I'm sure you'll have plenty of school organized trips (or even your own holiday breaks) in which you can make your way over to Tokyo at a more convenient time.