View Single Post
(#31 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-09-2010, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
The officer was upset but even he had to admit that it is a great thing to live in a country where you can approach a uniformed and armed man of authority and politely ask him to leave your shop.
Where are you reading the officer was upset?

Crooker says he has mixed emotions about being asked to leave. During his tour of duty in Iraq in 2004, he grew an appreciation, he says, for people's willingness and freedom to challenge authority. In Iraq, says Crooker, people would never confront an authority figure. So in one sense he says he was slightly humiliated and disappointed. On the other hand, Crooker says, he's appreciative of a country that allows people to question who ever they want -- concerning what ever they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
In many places that would be the equivalent of asking to be harassed, beaten or even arrested. Rather than pitying the officer or mocking the cafe owner (and it's a co-op so everyone who works there is an owner), look at the action as a sign that people can exercise their rights without fear of brutal reprisal. It is a great thing.

I also trust that the cafe knows it's demographic. The people who are boycotting it are not their clientele in the first place, their regular clientele is happy about the cafe's choice and their actions may cause people of like mind to now patronize them to show support. Their sales may increase.

Assuming the police in Portland are good people, they will still respnd to calls from that address because they are professionals. Even if they disagree with the cafe it doesn't mean they wish harm on the cafe.
I agree with the rest of your post, for the most part. I don't agree with the fact that they took the police officer's money before asking him to leave, though.