View Single Post
(#139 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

07-27-2010, 03:08 PM

While searching online to learn the difference between 穏和 and 温和, which Kanji in Context says are "warm, gentle, kind" or something like that, I came across this site: http://briller.ocn.ne.jp/quiz/archives/152.html

It quizzes you on difficult Japanese questions and then explains the answer after you guess.

Note: This is really for upper intermediate or advanced speakers of Japanese. Here's a sample:
Quote:
「あの人は[  ]な人柄だ」。空欄に入るのはどちら ?
A. 温和
B. 穏和

正解はBの穏和。

正解はB。「温和」とは、のどかな気候のこと。一方の 穏和」は、性格や言動などが穏やかなことを表します 現在、新聞などではどちらも「温和」で統一する方向 進められており、「温和」も間違いと見なされない場 も少なくないようです。ただしこの場合人柄について 及しているため、厳密には「穏和」が正解となります
That's the typical Q&A, so if you can't read that, you'll really have difficulty with this site.

But it's really good for random language points! I'm definitely at the point where this type of thing is fun for me.

Also, if anyone's reading this and interested, in a few months I'll have completed the entire Kanji in Context book and know all the joyo kanji—well, all the pre-2010 joyo kanji. At that point, I'll upload my Anki kanji flashcard file for everyone. The book (and, by extension, the flashcard file I made) is hands down the best kanji learning method out there. I'm packing in tons of kanji and vocab every day with an 80% retention rate.

Once I'm done adding kanji and just do pure review, the 80% will increase until it probably (realistically) gets to about 95% or so. So, yeah, it's super effective!