View Single Post
(#19 (permalink))
Old
SqueakyRat (Offline)
JF Regular

08-09-2010, 02:59 PM

Moin moin!

Quote:
Actually, I didn’t know your names don’t have meanings.
I will be careful when I write things in German or English.
It's not like that, it works a bit different than in Japanese, I suppose, but they do have meanings, I just barely think about them, and thus, couldn't draw the connection right away. (Maybe because quite a few names commonly used in Germany are not of german origin, or the words those names were derieved from aren't in common use anymore, so it's a little hard to glean the meaning without doing research first.)

Quote:
I thought Offenbach was a name.
It is, (As a family name.) I just wasn't sure in this case if you're refering to the place or a person, so I went with the first.

Quote:
Could you tell me some common family names and first names?
That's really hard to pinpoint, but here are a few names that I can associate with at least more than one of my friends.

[Martin, Simon, Dennis, Michael, Patrick; Natalie, Sandra, Tanja, Katja, Christina]

These are pretty common I'd say. (With the late teens/Early to late 20's age group at least.)

As for family names. Here's a list of the 100 most common family names in Germany.

Liste der häufigsten Familiennamen in Deutschland – Wikipedia

Most of these names were derived from peoples professions back in the day, (Like Fischer -> fisherman.) but a lot of these jobs are either obsolete nowadays or at least the terms for them are. All of them are still common as family names though. (Otherwise they wouldn't have made the list obviously.)

Quote:
I need a sentence including “der Namen”, here.
Die Bekanntmachung der Namen sorgte für viel Beunruhigung. (The announcement of the names caused a lot of disturbance.)

Quote:
I need “den Namen”, here.
Ich habe uns mit den Namen meiner Eltern angemeldet. (I've applied for both of us, using my parents names.)

Quote:
He writes the names on the paper. =Er schreibt die Namen über das Papier.
auf

Quote:
Bis spatter!
Oh, now that I see this. You might already know this, but just in case, if you can't type the german letters ä, ö and ü with your keyboard, you can use ae, oe and ue respectively, so instead of [Bis später] you can just write [Bis spaeter].

And with that said...Bis Später!

Last edited by SqueakyRat : 08-09-2010 at 06:27 PM.