View Single Post
(#29 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

08-15-2010, 09:06 AM

I'm a bit split on this... Being a Muslim myself, I witness pure ignorance everyday when it comes to Islam, even among my friends who supposedly take interest in my culture and belief. I'm generally the type of person that will never try to teach my belief to someone, and perhaps it's not good, but I usually prefer letting people do their own research. In reality, unless people see something on TV concerning the subject, they'll never go on google and research about it, hence the result of mass ignorance!

The point I'm getting at is that, this centre would be a great way to inform the types of people that I can't be bothered to inform, but at the same time, this centre will re-hatch all the negative sentiments a lot of these ignorant people have. So I guess, it's a good way to try to teach that the fundamentals of Islam has nothing to do with 9/11, but it's a risky way of doing it, because it might backfire and end up reigniting the discrimination that has been spread for the past 9 years. After 9/11, it was very tough for Muslims in America. I'm not speaking from personal experience, but there are two security guards at my building that lived in NY for 20 odd years, have a family, a home etc, but felt they had to move out of the US and come to France. They miss the US, the US is their home and they hope to move back one day, but controversies like this, will surely end up delaying the return to and openness of Muslims in America.

Last edited by noodle : 08-15-2010 at 09:09 AM.