View Single Post
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-31-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
It sounds like for you the problem is not that the American dramas are too realistic and gritty, but you are looking for something more uplifting, which your television stations are not programming.
Hmm, I guess. I will say my complaint has never been that American dramas are boring, like OP, and I haven't really been limiting this to just American TV. My crit. applies just as much to shows produced in the UK. Perhaps it's just that the light-hearted American TV we import tends to be sitcommy rubbish like Hope and Faith, and then we don't make much light-hearted uplifting drama either. Or at least nothing that isn't trying ~painfully~ hard to be funny and failing.

I'm pretty familiar with what's available on SKY (which offers 100s of channels) but its a lot like more of the same old stuff. My parents and my aunt has it, so there's more choice with things like film and documentaries, but even then the best produced dramas tend to be on the Beeb anyway.

I guess what I'm really trying to get at is I get jaded with the variety of shows available in the UK and Japanese shows, for all their faults, are at least ~different~. And I can at least usually pick out something that is actually thematically aimed at grown-ups which isn't having to resort to swearing, violence or sex to do so. Mostly I have to wait for a seasonal period drama to get that kind of thing on British TV.

Oh man, I'm 23 and turning into a Grumpy Old Woman aren't I? :P