Old
yumyumtimtam (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-05-2010, 02:36 PM

覚さん ただいま~

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarvodaya View Post
どういたしまして。
Hrm. Ah, for a moment I thought they meant OED, my mistake!
I couldn't follow this link. It took me to a list of stories.
すみません。
こちらです。
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...000590-san-int

Quote:
You mean that it's not nice to be exporting such negative words? Indeed, it is curious. I have never found the need for words like that though, nor have I heard them used. I don't think they are very common. There are only a few Japanese words I can think of that I depend on. For instance, we have no word for 旨味, or the way of tasting amino acids, and so I sometimes have to use that word when explaining this flavour. Obviously there are more common words like 津波, カラオケ, 空手, 道場, 神風, 侘寂, 侍, 忍者, 鮨, 着物, 浪人, 酒, 漫画, 指圧, 手裏剣, 鉄人, 梅干 and so on... I can't think of any more!
So, anyway, the point is that it's not just negative words that come from Japan! There are plenty of nice and interesting words too.
I see...

Well, the guy on the TV probablly meant slightly different... This is just my guess what he meant and this is what I think...exporting and importing any kind of words from other countries is OK and nothing's wrong with it,
but it was kind of sad to realize that we were having a big problem and that problem hikikomori is big enough to be noticed by the world like that.
(mmm I don't think this explanation isn't exactly what I really wanted to say... )
ひきこもり という いまのにほんのしゃかいもんだい が hikikomori というあたらしいたんごとして えいごのじしょに の ることが このましくない ということではなく、ひき こもりが それほどおおきなもんだいになってしまって いるいまの日本のげんじつが かなしく ざんねんにお もう ということです。 
but at the same time, I think it's important to know what's going on in the other countries and think and study about it to learn,solve,help and all.

I (maybe the guy on TV too) wish Japan can export more positive and happy words to the world to make more people smile.
Quote:
Not really, but the concept is becoming more popular. There is a Hebrew phrase ‫בל תשחית‬, which refers to a similar ethical principal. Bal Tashkhit literally means "do not destroy", and it has been extended over time to all types of needless waste and destruction.
right...interesting!
Quote:
Well, as I say, I hadn't really come across the word itself, but it is an important concept.
Quote:
Ah, well then, "lethargic" is definitely the right word. You are suffering from summer lethargy.
It's so muggy here...I'm still suffering from summer lethargy even it's supporsed to be autumn in Japan! How's it in England?
Quote:
ありがとうございました。
私はこのことをしりませんでした。
どういたしまして。

では 覚さん 宿題(しゅくだい)です

・わかります
・わかりますか(?)

・わかりません
・わかりませんか(?)

・わかりました
・わかりましたか(?)

・わかりませんでした
・わかりませんでしたか?(?)

・しります
・しりますか(?) not used very often)

・しりません
・しりませんか?

・しりました
・しりましたか(?)

・しりませんでした
・しりませんでしたか(?)

それぞれの 例文(れいぶん)を つくってみてくださ い。

Quote:
Sorry, that was ambiguous. For a period during the spring, and then again during the autumn, the BBC make one episode of "Have I Got News for You" every week. The number of episodes varies a little from year to year, but in general there are around a total of 17 episodes each year. I don't know why they don't make the show for the other 35 weeks of the year. I wish they did!
そうなんですね。それは しゅつえんしている コメデ ィアンの方々(かたがた)が いそがしいから?かな・ ・・
I started watching British comedy more often and it's making me really want to go and travel there again!
Quote:
Why don't we go back to Paul Merton as you like him and I think his show will be easier to understand.
Let's work on this when you get back:
I clicked it but couldn't watch that. oh no!
It said for the licence and permission kind of reason, we can't watch it in Japan.
Quote:
I hope you enjoy your trip. You must tell me all about it when you get back!
Oh I had a wonderful time there.
All the local people I met were all nice and friendly.
I think I was very lucky!
I enjoyed chatting with them and also loved the atmosphere and the food!
My camera isn't a very good one and anyway had no much time taking pics cos I was busy talking... but here are some pics for you (down below)

including Nebuta Festival art work and Hirosaki castle
Aomori
Hirosaki

I went to 函館(はこだて)to see my relatives,
especially my cousin who are about to marry a guy who is the manager of this company↓
函館金森赤レンガ倉庫
We all hit it off and talked about the tourism and what we can do to welcome more tourists from overseas. I had a lot to say about it since I love travelling and he said he appreciated my unique (and a bit strange) idea and was going to bring it to the next meeting!

Quote:
I see. Yes this looks much better. It has the sense of rolling down, which I think is important.
This song was written by Bob Dylan and Rick Danko.
No-one knows exactly what it means. I think that "this wheel" is the singer referring to him/herself. They are "on fire" with chaotic ardour for something ill-defined and dimly perceived. They are "rolling down the road", unable to control or stop themselves. A wheel cannot stop itself, it needs a brake. "Notify my next of kin" is what you do when someone has died. It is considered bad etiquette to publicise a death before notifying the next of kin. The next of kin is usually a nominated nearest family member. "this wheel shall explode" indicates that the singer is firmly on course to meet his/her untimely end in a blaze of either glory or destruction.
I found this website that discusses the song:
Peter Viney: This Wheel's on Fire
He quotes Andy Gill who writes:So you can see how the words relate to the lifestyle of the main character in the programme.
情報(じょうほう)をたくさんありがとうざいました。
わかりました・・・ちょっと時間(じかん)をください 。
日本語訳をかんがえてみます☆
Quote:
Ok:
いきしちにひみりゐ
i-ki-shi-chi-ni-hi-mi-ri-wi
いぎじぢにびみりゐ
i-gi-?-dji-ni-bi-mi-ri-wi
いきしちにぴみりゐ
i-ki-shi-chi-ni-pi-mi-ri-wi
Q1 Can you tell me something (anything!) about「じ」and「ぢ」?
Q2  And about「ゐ」?

Quote:
Athletic meet
Yes, and often it means Sports/Field day at school.
Quote:
Birthday party
Birthday party
誕生会 birthday party, but 誕生会 the "day" isn't really necessary.
Quote:
Neighbourhood council
Get-together
yep

こんどの どようびは ともだちのこどもの 誕生日会 (たんじょうびかい)なので いってきます☆

では また

↓you can fine me and my best friend in here too

Last edited by yumyumtimtam : 03-04-2011 at 04:56 PM.