View Single Post
(#44 (permalink))
Old
chiuchimu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-10-2010, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by komitsuki View Post
Sigh. This is why I don't expect too much from Ronin.

Just got back from my trip to Tokyo. Back to Seoul in a decade. Since I'm a Korean by origin I can tell you this. The anti-Japanese sentiment in Korea is almost always about Japanese politics. It has nothing to do with Japanese pop culture. The vast majority of anti-Japanese sentiment in Korea is about specific right-wing Japanese politicians or diplomats. It's not about harming ordinary Japanese civilians.

That survey itself has a problem. Do you like Japan/Korea means different things.

1. Japanese would consider this based on the Korean (pop) culture.
2. Koreans would consider this based on Japanese politics.

There is a bigger threat in Korea. It's not Japanese. It's the American military in Korea.

Oh yeah. You can listen to Namuro Amie's songs in the middle of Seoul and you don't get any stare. But yeah, many Koreans consider J-pop for being too Euro, believing that it is more suitable for the European listeners. If that helps you.
Very interesting point. I will agree that Korea views Japan more politically while Japan views Korea culturally.

But Jpop is very broad. It covers every gradation of tastes and styles. Hopefully, I'm wrong and it's just a matter of Korean youth getting more exposure to the different types of styles available in Jpop.