View Single Post
(#8 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

09-10-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I tend to ignore other foreigners - mainly because 9 times out of 10 they are doing something I do not want to be connected with. ie. Speaking loudly in English, acting like a total idiot, talking dirty to their Eikaiwa school girlfriend, etc.

Long term foreigners in Japan who don`t really do that type of thing tend to be very nasty to me if for some reason we do talk. Speaking Japanese well and not pulling the "I`m foreign so treat me better than everyone else because of cultural differences!" card at every turn apparently really makes some of them angry.

There are exceptions, of course, but it seems like the majority of foreigners in Japan for longer than a vacation either a) See it as a playground where they can get drunk and pick up girls or b) Hate it with a passion and make sure that everyone around them knows. Normal people leading normal lives are a real rarity.
I agree with keeping the distance from obnoxious foreigners. I just keep bumping into people with the holier-than-thou attitude here.

You're right about the two caricatures as well. I don't understand how disgruntled people here can get along in Japan. I'm not someone who says things like "Well if you hate this country then why don't you leave??" because there are honestly a lot of things that aren't that great here, but that doesn't mean I go and bash the entire country whenever I can. That's like a past time for foreigners here; bash Japan with other foreigners.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography