View Single Post
(#9 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

09-10-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
what about non-americans? surely there are people from Europe and around the world who also live there?

Here in UK we have had to get used to seeing many people from around the world--generally we accept except for those who are racist.

I think its great to have people from around the world--

Travel is easier than it used to be. surely Japan willeventually accept gaiijin if they want good relationships globally.

The thing is that whereever we go-- we need to try to fit in with the ways and culture of that country--not expect the country to change for US.

The AMerican Occupation must have had an impact-- and the American military presence?
I don't know if this is a troll post or not, but I'll have a go.

Basically, here in Japan, if you're a gaijin then you're American until proven otherwise. That's a Japanese generalization, not a western one.

Going to Japan as a foreigner is not like a Brit going to America or and American going to England. In these cases, you can get along fine besides an accent and a different measurement system. It will always remain difficult to assimilate in Japan because of the language and cultural differences.

And I don't know what the military has to do with not sharing a common language or cultural beliefs.

You say that in the UK you accept everyone yet your intolerance and ignorance say otherwise.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography