View Single Post
(#23 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

09-12-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinRossTso View Post
Ack!!! I'm sorta confused from reading this. I don't want to start a new thread... so...

What is Kanji used for? What is Hiragana used for? and What is Katakana used for?

From what I understand is... Hiragana and Katakana is like syllables where you can spell out words, or read words that you've never seen before.

Kanji is... just the characters?

Which one is most useful or what order of things you should learn the writing in? I doubt that learning just Romaji would help all that much for writing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And... on a side note! From reading this... I would say that stroke order IS important... just like any other Asian character based language.

I'm Chinese... but I don't really know how to write, so when I do the improper stroke order people can either laugh that I don't know how to write, or say how ugly my characters are.

English... I think there is a specific way to write each letter, but I never follow it. When I do though, my letters come out beautifully!

Just like Guitar or any other thing! If you don't have a method, it is less efficient/slower/uglier.

Yeah... that's my take on the stroke order!
Hiragana should come first. Then katakana. Then kanji.

I think a simple way of explaining kanji to someone who speaks English is this: treat kanji like you would Greek and Latin roots in English. You don't have to know what "anti~" and "un~" mean to speak English, but knowing them makes your language abilities much better. Indeed, without knowing them, you'll probably come off as uneducated or speak with very few words.