View Single Post
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
09-18-2010, 02:21 PM

Hey, you are welcome

If you have been to Fukuoka before than you won´t need that much time to get around after arriving!

No i did not teach as i´m not a native speaker (i´m german) and i didn´t want to teach actually. Why i suggested teaching is following: When i did the WHV 2 years ago there was a governemt run company helping people with the WHV. In there office there were job offers for this visa and 95% where teaching jobs. Others where jobs for short term (1 day on a movie set or similar) or requested good japanese. So i assume it is possible to work as a teacher with this visa. And you could also do private lessons if everything else fails.
I did work in a hotel in the mountains and i worked for the trendscouts in Tokyo, i got kinda lucky getting this 2 jobs
I think you will need some time finding a job, but don´t worry to much.
For some jobs you will need good japanese and they only job easy to get beside teaching was working in Roppongi in some shady bar, but i didn´t want to do that.

A guesthouse is not exactly like a hostel. Usually a guesthouse rents out room starting 1 month +
Ususally u get ur own room and will share the bathroom + kitchen. You´ll also find a living room with a kitchen. Some of the guesthouses have dorm rooms wich are cheaper.
Guesthouses are generally not cheap cheap, but ok and you will not need a japanese guarantor, they are ok to rent to foreigners and usually used to it, there is not key money, only a deposit that you get returned and its a great oportunity to meet other people and eventually someone might even know a job for you!

Well, wish you all the best

Firebird

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)