View Single Post
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MuRaSaKiiNkI (Offline)
一番村ちゃん

Send a message via Skype™ to MuRaSaKiiNkI
Not so fast... - 09-27-2010, 11:30 PM

I agree with Jess, Japanese is tough even in a personal classroom with hands-on teaching. It's not something you can learn perfectly in two years, or even a lifetime. For instance, even my Tokyo-born Japanese teacher still has to use her Kanji dictionary, and she speaks fluent Japanese.

If there are no classes around you, you can start online. However, if you are in college now, perhaps you can study abroad in Japan? Or student exchange? Japan is also seeking English teachers. Or, you can post on the language exchange forum on here, and ask someone to Skype with you about learning Japanese.

I personally believe personal face-to-face teaching is the best way to go, if everyone could learn languages on the computer, there would be no need for translators. Ideal situation is to study in Japan for a few months, or a year, or live there, and completely immerse yourself in the language and culture.

Most importantly, treat Japanese with respect, because it's difficult and you will make mistakes. People who don't treat it seriously talk like gaijins and embarrass those who study hard and learn to pronounce things. Other than that, if you can try to go to Japan, or seek out a Japanese-born native speaker, then you should do fine. Ja ne~