View Single Post
(#182 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-02-2010, 10:03 AM

[quote=yumyumtimtam;830131].mmm now I'm curious, I will find it and have another look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumyumtimtam View Post
Oh, he likes rugby not soccer?
Yeah, he used to like playing soccer (football in the UK) but he doesn't like watching it. He thinks football players are too vain, and are wimps.

Quote:
wow, hundreds?
My little sister had some but maybe around 10.
They are bunnies? mice?
All sorts of animals; Families: Sylvanianfamilies.com I used to get a whole family every christmas and a few single dolls for my birthday every year, and I was given all my sister's ones (she preferred My Little Pony), and some of my cousins too, so I had a lot of duplicates!

Quote:
We had many of these. You might have seen some of them when you were in Japan maybe?
Oh yes! I remember these. I think I saw these as a kid too, but I didn't like them that much for some reason. Maybe because the face is plastic, not fuzzy.

Quote:
How do you call ゴミ箱 ごみ袋 in English?

In Australia they call it rubbish bin I think.
I heard that people call it trash can or garbage can in the USA.

This case "can" doesn't mean "tin" right? but it means some kind of container or a bucket?

How about just a bag for rubbish?
like a plastic one? Can I call them rubbish bag or trash bag?

So...
Can I say like... "Can you put the sticky stuff in the rubbish bag(trash/garbage bag) please"? make sense?

or you don't call them like that?
Should I call it just a bag?
This is one of those things where there are lots of words for it, and everyone tends to prefer something different. In my family, we call it the 'bin' or the 'dustbin', regardless of if it's big and outside the house, or small and inside the house. If it is one of these: http://myzerowaste.com/wp-content/up...heelie-bin.jpg then it's called a 'wheelie bin'. We call the bags 'bin bags'.

But you're right, people in different places, even in the same country call the ゴミ rubbish, garbage or trash, and the ゴミ箱 a trash can, garbage can, garbage bin, rubbish bin, wastebasket or dustbin depending on what they prefer. In the past, 'wastebasket's were always made of basket, and a 'trash can' was called a 'can' because it was made of shiny metal and looked like a big tin-can, but now they can be made of anything.

The words are all really interchangeable, but I had to make a distinction, it would be this;

Garbage- food waste; so organic matter; vegetable and meat etc
Rubbish- dry things; packaging for example. Old clothes etc Potentially you can find things in the 'rubbish' that might still be useable.
Trash- dry things, but usually broken or completely in-usable.

So the big difference is between garbage and trash/rubbish.

For example, I might have a bin in my bedroom, but I'd only put rubbish or trash in it; not garbage, because garbage rots and is very smelly. I might not bother with a bag at all, if it's lots of things like scrap paper, dust and clean plastic. I might allow a small amount of garbage in the kitchen bin, but i'd empty it much more frequently, and use a proper garbage bag to stop it leaking everywhere and stinking.