View Single Post
(#183 (permalink))
Old
yumyumtimtam (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-03-2010, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
Yeah, he used to like playing soccer (football in the UK) but he doesn't like watching it. He thinks football players are too vain, and are wimps.
yeah vain but wimps?

Quote:
All sorts of animals; Families: Sylvanianfamilies.com I used to get a whole family every christmas and a few single dolls for my birthday every year, and I was given all my sister's ones (she preferred My Little Pony), and some of my cousins too, so I had a lot of duplicates!
You lucky!
Do you still have any of them?

My parents still keep many of them and we have to throw them out...but feel sad and bad to do it.... we might do something at the shirine or something...

Quote:
Oh yes! I remember these. I think I saw these as a kid too, but I didn't like them that much for some reason. Maybe because the face is plastic, not fuzzy.
hahaha, yes their faces were plastic.
The reason I liked them was that they can put their thumbs in their mouths like little kids do and I thought it was cute.
But yes there were some kids got scared of them cos their faces were plastic.
Quote:
This is one of those things where there are lots of words for it, and everyone tends to prefer something different. In my family, we call it the 'bin' or the 'dustbin', regardless of if it's big and outside the house, or small and inside the house. If it is one of these: http://myzerowaste.com/wp-content/up...heelie-bin.jpg then it's called a 'wheelie bin'. We call the bags 'bin bags'.
I see.cos they've got the wheels!
In my family we call it  外のゴミ箱 or ゴミいれ.
Quote:
But you're right, people in different places, even in the same country call the ゴミ rubbish, garbage or trash, and the ゴミ箱 a trash can, garbage can, garbage bin, rubbish bin, wastebasket or dustbin depending on what they prefer. In the past, 'wastebasket's were always made of basket, and a 'trash can' was called a 'can' because it was made of shiny metal and looked like a big tin-can, but now they can be made of anything.
that's right. I sometimes have this conversation with my friends place.
『ごみどこに入れたら良い?ゴミ箱どこ?』
「ゴミ箱ないから その袋に入れておいて。ゴミ袋にし よう。」
『このレジ袋? だめだよ 穴があいてるよ!プラスチ ック(リサイクル)ゴミの袋はどこ?』

わかる?
Quote:
The words are all really interchangeable, but I had to make a distinction, it would be this;
Garbage- food waste; so organic matter; vegetable and meat etc
Rubbish- dry things; packaging for example. Old clothes etc Potentially you can find things in the 'rubbish' that might still be useable.
Trash- dry things, but usually broken or completely in-usable.

So the big difference is between garbage and trash/rubbish.

For example, I might have a bin in my bedroom, but I'd only put rubbish or trash in it; not garbage, because garbage rots and is very smelly. I might not bother with a bag at all, if it's lots of things like scrap paper, dust and clean plastic. I might allow a small amount of garbage in the kitchen bin, but i'd empty it much more frequently, and use a proper garbage bag to stop it leaking everywhere and stinking.
Wow, thank you for the great lecture of ごみ! I enjoyed it very very much.
Garbage は「生ごみ」 だね

私が住んでいる地域では「燃やせるゴミ」と「燃やせな いゴミ」「プラスチックごみ」「資源ごみ」に分けて捨 ててるよ。
How can I explain this in proper English?Can you correct them for me?

In the area where I live right now,
We separate the things we want to throw away into 4 groups.
1)"Burnable" kitchen garbage,pieces of clothes...

2)"not burnable(actually this is for "shouldn't be burn" cos it makes toxic smoke)" plastic but not recycable ones: broken toys,rubber stuff and so on.

3)"plastic rubbish for recycle" especially packaging, usually very thin.

4)"recycable trash" tin-can,PET and glass bottles,clothes,papers,books,magazines,carton and all that.

This area, we only have once a month to throw this recycable trash, so there are still many people can't wait that long and put all the recycable stuff in the other bin bags to get rid off them as soon as possible.
The G'ment here isn't very good.
We pay for the bin bags but the system isn't working well.
I really want them to learn the better way like North European countries do.

The rules of "throwing things out" is different from the areas,
I mean depending on the prefectures,cities,towns,villages and each communities...
My parents place for example, they are living in a 10-story buidling and they have their own garbage/trash place, and they can use them almost everyday so they don't have to keep the garbage/trash in their rooms for a long time.

but my place, we only have 2 days (and only for 2 hours 6:30-8:30!)for garbage and only 1 day for recycable plastic and notburnable trash.
When I went to the rubbish place arond 8:40 in a morning.There was a old woman got crossed and said "Time's up, bring your garbage back to your place and come again in time" but I asked her to let me leave the garbage this time cos I wouldn't be able to come back home another 3 weeks, cos my business trip. but she said "NA.It's the rule", then the rubbish collecting car came, and I asked the driver if it's OK, then he said it's no problem cos I came before them. but the old woman said to the driver "Don't say that, this girl would do that again!"... The driver was very nice and kind sait to me "Girl, you look like you have to go to work right? Please leave your rubbish before 8:30 next time ok?" and he smiled. (oh I was almost fall in love with that old man!)

oops I have to go now

Have a good day Columbine ちゃん