View Single Post
(#10 (permalink))
Old
citydreamer (Offline)
New to JF

10-05-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kei0000 View Post
If you live in the U.S. now,you should wait to have tattoos until you come to Japan and learn more about Japanese culture.
Thanks for your suggestion, kei.

I actually have a trip to Osaka coming up early next year, so I'll have a chance to further deliberate the tattoo while actually being immersed in the culture. I'm looking forward to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post
well if he does not intend to live in Japan I reckon he can just read about it. This forum has plenty of information on it. If not, it can be found in the internet / books, etc.

Coming to Japan only to make sure you are getting a right tattoo is like going to space to get away from your family for few days. Bit of an overkill and god damn expensive.

I have a friend in Tokyo, an American guy, he has a full body tattoo of a dragon and other motives. Looks amazing, though he spent on it 10.000$ (traditional irezumi). I am not sure about carps though, I mean we eat them on Christmas Eve in Europe. Though they really have a very symbolic meaning here in Japan (as Sashimister has indirectly pointed out).
Ryuurui,

Thanks for the wealth of valuable insight you've offered. I really appreciate it.

Are mainly just Japanese tattoos regarded as taboo or frowned upon in Japan? Or are generally all tattoos looked at in the same way?