View Single Post
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-16-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
To be perfectly honest, I think five days in Tokyo is more than enough to see what is really interesting. Two hours away is Kansai, with the real "foodie" culture. Kansai includes Osaka, Wakayama, Kobe, kyoto and Nara (on the far edge depending who you talk to).

Tokyo isn't nearly as big as people think it is, so to limit yourself when visiting an isolated island county seems, to me, to be a little of a waste.

I can't tell you what to do, but if you are going to Tokyo for the food, you are making a little bit of a mistake. If someone wants to tell me I am wrong, I am open to arguments.
I've been in Japan for three years now, spending most of my time in Tokyo. I know the city better than many Japanese, but in all that time I have not come close to seeing it all.

Visit Tsukiji and Hamarikyu, Odaiba, Tsukishima, Nihonbashi, Kanda, Ameyoko, Ueno, Shinjuku, Shibuya, Harajuku, Omotesando, Daikanyama, Meguro, Yurakucho, Ginza, Yokohama, and the Tokyo Disney Resorts. These are just the larger destinations, I couldn't begin to list the smaller districts and neighborhoods worth seeing. Tokyo is one of the great cities of the world, even if you spent the summer here you could find something different to see and do every single day.