View Single Post
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-16-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujikuro2 View Post
I don't think you are wrong.And going to Tokyo for the food is not a mistake too.Tokyo is richer than Kansai in diversity(rest of the world and Japan,from Hokkaido to Okinawa).Even Kansai style food is available in Tokyo,though they might be mediocre.If OP is in love with Kansai style,she should go Kansai.If she is in love with Soba noodle and soy source taste,going to Kansai is a waste.
I don't know what that means "richer in diversity". That's a little like saying Los Angeles is richer in diversity, in the fact that the city is made up of people who aren't from Los Angeles, but the problem is everyone pretends they ARE from Los Angeles, so sayonara to diversity.

Yes there is Kansai food available in Tokyo, and in my experience, unless you are willing to pay outrageous prices, it is mediocre. That is my point. I doubt the OP is in love with Kansai food, soba noodles or soy sauce, my point is food is better in Kansai, so if this is a foodie trip, jump on a shink and head west for a couple days, at least. It's like going to Disneyland but only going to Tomorrowland, saying we will visit the other sections in future visits as the People Mover rolls by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
I've been in Japan for three years now, spending most of my time in Tokyo. I know the city better than many Japanese, but in all that time I have not come close to seeing it all.

Visit Tsukiji and Hamarikyu, Odaiba, Tsukishima, Nihonbashi, Kanda, Ameyoko, Ueno, Shinjuku, Shibuya, Harajuku, Omotesando, Daikanyama, Meguro, Yurakucho, Ginza, Yokohama, and the Tokyo Disney Resorts. These are just the larger destinations, I couldn't begin to list the smaller districts and neighborhoods worth seeing. Tokyo is one of the great cities of the world, even if you spent the summer here you could find something different to see and do every single day.
I would agree in the "greater area" there is more to do. Yokohama is the second largest city in Japan, and has a great Chinatown. Of course "Tokyo Disneyland" would more accurately be called "Chiba Disneyland" but then it loses that special appeal people seem to have for the word "Tokyo".