(#9 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-29-2010, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonerPenguin View Post
I'm with ya cranks and I'm in the U.S. Air Force! :/

I'm also facepalming @ dannavy85 because we (Americans) DO note and remember Pearl Harbor (and 9/11 and other attacks on US civilians) but we don't exactly honor the dates we attacked the citizens of foreign countries. We will 'never forget 9/11' but apparently it's totally cool to forget bombing the shit out of Iraqi civilians we did in March-May 2003. It may not be 'fair' but nations tend to remember and honor their own fallen; the U.S. clearly does this so to say 'we can do it but the Japanese can't!" is so very very asinine. Moreover, nothing justifies nuking a country -- NOTHING. Radiation is far too inhumane for a modern nation to consider in its repertoire for warfare. And your attitude of "well that's what happens" is scary, I'm talking 'lacking empathy and sanity' scary (Timothy McVeigh scary!). Super overkill.

Thus I shall facepalm in the corner and hope that I'm not doomed to a fate of being a douche-y veteran when I get older...
Thank you. I love the US as much as Japan so I appreciate your, and all other military personnel's, service. I really do. I think Japanese have a lot to learn from Americans in that area. But killing people is never cool. I would probably be proud of myself if I was a fighter pilot and shot down an enemy fighter. That's fair. But 2 world wars, and Korea and Vietnam and Afghanistan and Iraq showed us that a war is not cool. I don't like the brutality of the old imperial Japanese military, but at the same time I don't like Chinese, American, British or any other countries' brutality back then. Let's be more cosmopolitan. Countries will be dismantled in several hundred years. Do people care if you are Yankee or Southerner today? English or Scottish? No. Bad things are bad regardless who did them. It's stupid to completely vilify one side. I don't care which side. Both did good things and bad things. And even those who did things we deem bad today, most of them tried their best to do good. With all their life.

I'm not saying military is bad though. It's the opposite. Military forces at this point of human evolution are very important and we need them and need to keep the balance among them so we don't get into a head on collision like WW2.

Last edited by cranks : 10-29-2010 at 04:32 AM.