View Single Post
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-07-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamboP26 View Post
When using spoken English, I tend to say 'aye' for yes, along with many other Scottish words
HI Jambo I love the "AYE" when I returned to England after living five years in SCOTLAND there were many expressions I clung to for a while "AYE" being one of them.

One thing I disliked was when I was in hospital in Stirling giving birth, many of the women referrred to each other as "HEN" Ye ken Hen" etc.

I used to love the Scottish programmes--Calum Kennedy usually in Gaelic-- I used to listen to much of traditional scots folk music. I really missed it when returning to England-- apart from missing the HIlls (Mountains( and Lochs.

I like the word "RUNE" for gutter-- and "Messages" for shopping. My mother in law had a wonderful accent-- using many olde scots expressions. Also she was a marvellous cook. ALL healthy scots recipes and always we had soup.

As we did scottish dancing-- we also enjoyed the dance bands.

I enjoyed Kenneth McKellar but when I heard Peter Mallen singing "AE fond Kiss I fell in love with his singing. I especially enjoyed Mckellars recording of the SONGS OF THE HEBRIDES.
We always played that when showing slides of scottish scenery .

There is a man who does "COAST" Neil Oliver. Have you seen his programmes. When I shut my eyes I could listen to the lilt of his accent for ever.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 11-07-2010 at 10:30 PM.