(#10 (permalink))
Old
File0 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-21-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
thankyou very much for your post.

One thing that has always worried me about BONSAI is that a human being dictates how a tree develops. Is it cruel to the tree?

I am uncertain about your photos. Which are the Bonsai?
Sorry for that link, I didn't check if it was ok. I'll try to upload it.

Nature does the same to the trees, it seems in many case, that it's cruel, and I assume it really can be, for example in under the process of making a djinn/dinn.That white thing was very probably made by the owner of the tree. I've seen it a several time, and I'll never get used to it, practically a part of the tree's top level has been striped off.
On the other hand bonsai methods can be used in bigger context, to save an old fruit tree, you have to renew it by cutting back all the branch, the tree will grow new ones.
In Japan there is a bonsai which has data from the 17th century(means it can be older), it is part of the National Treasures of Japan. If it was so cruel to keep it that way, than I think the tree wouldn't survive.
But even if you assume, that every living(or even the not living) creatures response to their surrounding, I must say it's less cruel than having a big dog inside in a little flat, even if you walk it twice every day. So it depends on how you look at it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg biggestbonsaijapan.jpg (133.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (32.3 KB, 33 views)