View Single Post
(#31 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
12-13-2010, 12:24 AM

I think that the issue of dating a foreigner is being confused with actually marrying one.

In terms of family reaction, there is a huge difference. Most people will react with interest, fascination, approval, or even admiration when it comes to having a dating relationship with a foreigner. Move on to talk of marriage and the tables turn VERY quickly.

When my husband and I were dating - there was never a single negative word from anyone. (The closest was a friend of his from high school who said something along the lines of "Why would a foreigner choose HIM?!?" but that certainly wasn`t negative in my direction...)
When we told everyone our intent to marry - only one friend stuck to supporting us. The others quickly shifted to "It will never last." "Are you sure she isn`t just using you?" "Dating is fine and all, but marriage is for life! Do some more thinking!" etc etc. (Guess which friend we still are in touch with these days ) We didn`t experience any family negativity, but they also weren`t jumping around because dating a foreigner was "cool". His mother got me alone in the car and asked me if I truly loved her son, and that was the end of it.

I think that you might be surprised to see the difference in reactions for "dating" and "planning to marry".

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.