View Single Post
(#38 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-13-2010, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post
hmm, racism generally comes with a notion of negative prejudice...
Japan is racist in a different way, positive prejudice, in my opinion...

I guess I'd rather be falsely admired than thought of as a lesser being, is what I was getting at.

excluding ww2, I'm not sure that there was any point where Japanese people hated or shunned white people.

I think my point at first was that an international/intercultural relationship would do just fine here, in fact it might do better, perhaps due to this.

I guess a black woman coming to Japan might have difficulty finding a man who likes her instead of liking her skin or what she represents in the country. Tough one to test.
Even reverse racism, aka positive discrimination, is, in the end, a negative. Examples of this are that Asians excel at math, or that black people are good at sports. Well, what if you are Asian and are not good at math, or you are black and aren't good at sports. Now you are not meeting an expectation that was placed on you simply because of your race.

You know as well as I do that a relationship based on a racial presumption is doomed to failure. That's why I no longer talk to any of those "friends" back in Japan. It wasn't about me, the person, but me the white American, and not only was the relationship shallow, I was also easily replaceable.