View Single Post
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-03-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatsuchan18 View Post
well i thought to be a japanese major, you'd have to know the language really really well. Also, if i end up not staying in japan for the full length of my career i was thinking of teaching english to japanese people who are studying/traveling abroad to the U.S. (so i can be closer to family i guess) Would a japanese degree then be sufficient to teach that sort of thing in the U.S.? That's why i thought an English degree would be better.
It depends on the school, but to graduate with a degree in Japanese at my school, you had to pass four years of Japanese with at least a B- in every semester, and take a handful of culture, literature and history classes (I think it was five classes all together).

If you want to be a teacher in the US, you should probably get a degree in education and then a teaching certificate. People studying in the US already have teachers, and people traveling in the US are not looking for teachers.

An English degree may be useful for teaching children, but high school or college level usually requires more.