View Single Post
(#32 (permalink))
Old
21stninjagod (Offline)
New to JF

01-05-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Maybe I missed it, but where are you from?

I was under the impression the cost of living and salaries were much lower in India, and I think the chances of getting paid what is about $3500 a month in India would be pretty low... am I wrong?
yes you are absolutely correct. A BE (bachelor of engineering) just out of a decent college would get $1000 pm if he is really good.
Most of them get $500 pm from companies like accenture/infosys/Tata Consultancy Services etc.

Last year in my college Nvidia gave a package of $1000 pm to some students.
the highest package offered till now is to me by Rakuten but relatively (relative to the cost of living in Japan) its the same.

but almost everyone at the 7 Indian Institutes of Technology get a package between $1000 and $2000 pm. Some of them get up to $4000 pm (rare cases).

I was amazed to listen that the Internet speeds are > 30 Mbps in korea(s),japan. An average indian uses a 512kbps internet. I luckily have a 2Mbps internet connection at home.

Living expenses are not much. Almost everyone drives a bike here. You can not reach your destination within time if you use a car.
If you plan to use a bike you do not need to buy a bike more than 200cc.(costs $1600) Streets are crowded and its difficult to save pedestrians.
public transport is as cheap as $15 pm (travel anywhere in the city as many times as you want...PER MONTH just $15).
very very good food at $10 per day.

so if you earn $1000 pm here you will certainly have an awesome life and if you earn $2000 pm then that would be damn! luxurious.

EXCLUDE Mumbai from the information given above. Affording a house in Mumbai Suburb is much costlier than affording a house in a Dubai's skyline.