LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-05-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21stninjagod View Post
after going through all the replies I am sure that if I want to have fun + maintain a car then I won't be able to save much.

So I need to think over the offer and join some company in India.
If I get that much money for a job in India I am sure that I would easily save 50% and live a luxurious life here. (with a car.."ya the roads are a bit poor".. and a big 3BHK flat in a good society).

as far as the number system is concerned, I donno why the hell they started a new system. I would prefer to use the International system from now. I never used it earlier coz I never needed it before.

Thanks to everyone for the help.
Maybe I missed it, but where are you from?

I was under the impression the cost of living and salaries were much lower in India, and I think the chances of getting paid what is about $3500 a month in India would be pretty low... am I wrong?
(#32 (permalink))
Old
21stninjagod (Offline)
New to JF

01-05-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Maybe I missed it, but where are you from?

I was under the impression the cost of living and salaries were much lower in India, and I think the chances of getting paid what is about $3500 a month in India would be pretty low... am I wrong?
yes you are absolutely correct. A BE (bachelor of engineering) just out of a decent college would get $1000 pm if he is really good.
Most of them get $500 pm from companies like accenture/infosys/Tata Consultancy Services etc.

Last year in my college Nvidia gave a package of $1000 pm to some students.
the highest package offered till now is to me by Rakuten but relatively (relative to the cost of living in Japan) its the same.

but almost everyone at the 7 Indian Institutes of Technology get a package between $1000 and $2000 pm. Some of them get up to $4000 pm (rare cases).

I was amazed to listen that the Internet speeds are > 30 Mbps in korea(s),japan. An average indian uses a 512kbps internet. I luckily have a 2Mbps internet connection at home.

Living expenses are not much. Almost everyone drives a bike here. You can not reach your destination within time if you use a car.
If you plan to use a bike you do not need to buy a bike more than 200cc.(costs $1600) Streets are crowded and its difficult to save pedestrians.
public transport is as cheap as $15 pm (travel anywhere in the city as many times as you want...PER MONTH just $15).
very very good food at $10 per day.

so if you earn $1000 pm here you will certainly have an awesome life and if you earn $2000 pm then that would be damn! luxurious.

EXCLUDE Mumbai from the information given above. Affording a house in Mumbai Suburb is much costlier than affording a house in a Dubai's skyline.
(#33 (permalink))
Old
steel (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-06-2011, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Hi all,

I have recently got an offer from Rakuten Inc of japan. They are offering me a salary of 3,00,000 JPY per month. I am single and I am sure that I am not going to get married in next 10 years.

I want to save 1,50,000 JPY per month or atleast 1,00,000 JPY per month. I want to know if the salary is good enough to live a healthy life + can I afford a car in Japan.

I know japanese so I do not think language would be a problem.
English is not a problem for me as well.
I want to know about the job prospects and higher education in Japan.

Quote:
after going through all the replies I am sure that if I want to have fun + maintain a car then I won't be able to save much.

So I need to think over the offer and join some company in India.
If I get that much money for a job in India I am sure that I would easily save 50% and live a luxurious life here. (with a car.."ya the roads are a bit poor".. and a big 3BHK flat in a good society).

as far as the number system is concerned, I donno why the hell they started a new system. I would prefer to use the International system from now. I never used it earlier coz I never needed it before.

Thanks to everyone for the help.
Look, you might want to re-consider some of your assumptions before making a final decision.

1. The car. Assuming the offer will be for a position in Tokyo, very much like for anyone living in New York City, having a car does not make much sense. Mumbai and Tokyo may both be 'mega-cities' - however, it makes a difference to many people that Tokyo is 'First World' and Mumbai is still part of a 'Developing Economy'/BrIC.

2. The salary. It's a wholly reasonable starting salary for someone just out of university (or even a few years out). eg. they are not screwing you with a low-ball number because you're from India or something like that.

3. Your (savings) goals and your assumptions. They're flawed if you someone assumed you would be making only Y3.6 million per year (gross)... for the next ten years. There is no guarantee, but is highly likely that after you get acclimatized to the work environment in Japan, in a few years you might be earning healthy multiples of that original amount. As you indicated that you already speak Japanese, that definitely gives you an advantage.

4. Rakuten. They are the top e-commerce (online mall) operator in Japan. Not one of many mid-sized unknown companies or some volatile venture firm. That's a plus however you also have the benefit of not being near-forcibly tied down to your employer via draconian and discriminatory labor laws like they do in countries like South Korea. It's not that difficult to change employers under the same visa class in Japan.

Last edited by steel : 01-06-2011 at 04:34 AM.
(#34 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-06-2011, 12:14 PM

When I arrived three years ago my teaching salary was 300,000 yen per month. Considering that I worked an average of 24 hours per week, that wasn't bad at all. I lived in the countryside, and I lived nicely. The rent for my new house was only 60k yen per month, and the house even included parking for 2 cars.

Not long ago I transferred to a new school in Tokyo. My pay remained the same 300k yen, but my cost-of-living expenses doubled. Rent is higher, as is the cost of food/transportation/entertainment. In Tokyo 300k yen doesn't go far. My current rent is nearly 200k yen per month, and a single parking space costs as much as my house in the countryside cost. Add food, phone, utilities, taxes (my residency tax is nothing to laugh at), and everything else, 300k doesn't come close to covering it.

But moving to the city motivated me to look for/make other opportunities, and allowed me to go into business for myself. My income is now approaching triple what it was a year ago, if I had enough time (I still teach 5 days a week) I could probably swing 1 million yen per month, but I get tired even thinking about how much work that would be.

Let us know where you will live if you work for Rakuten, It would make it easier to advise you.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
SuperFresh (Offline)
New to JF

01-06-2011, 12:49 PM

Just do it, be spontaneous, and do not worry. You have burdened yourself with to many goals and conditions. Forget all that. The value is in the experience. You can worry about saving after you settle. Take peoples advice lightly. You never know what could happen, and neither does anyone else - thats the best part.

Good luck
(#36 (permalink))
Old
21stninjagod (Offline)
New to JF

01-06-2011, 02:00 PM

exactly!!! you are right man.
I still have 10 days time to think over it.
(#37 (permalink))
Old
LazyGaijin (Offline)
New to JF

01-10-2011, 12:02 AM

What are you waiting for, get an aeroplane sir, Japan is waiting for you!