(#65 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-26-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post
Yeah I did like it a lot
Really looking forward to seeing sooky stop being extra baggage and start to pull her weight a little...

Speaking of the moral compass, that's the part that feels a little too preachy to me about most tv shows these days.
I wonder if a show with a different kind of morality would work, like where vampires are loyal or whatever to each other, and other such virtues or vices applied only to each other. As if humans were to them what cows are to us, we hardly apply our morality to cows. Well... as if humans were sexy cows that can fight back a little and stir the pot lol.
I think it is hard to argue that True Blood is preachy in any way. All shows have a moral compass, whether it is Sesame Street or Jersey Shore. It is where that compass lies that will determine who watches it. It is interesting you would say American TV is too preachy now, meaning the moral compass is set too high, as most complaints I hear in the media are saying the opposite.

Generally for a show to work, there has to be a character the audience can relate to. On True Blood it starts as Sookie, and eventually Bill is as well. On Arrested Development it is Michael. On Seinfeld it is Jerry. For me, there is no one on Jersey Shore I can relate to, therefore it isn't something I enjoy watching. For me, the moral compass of that show is set too low for me to enjoy it. Does that make sense.