View Single Post
(#17 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-31-2011, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisukeKigurou View Post
It also helps to be up on the latest news and weather of the country. If you want to go REALLY far learn about Japans rich history, stuff like on different samurai, history on certain ninjas and stuff. Even more then that, becoming friends with people from the country and then working to learn Japanese.

Another thing your going to notice in Japan, is something called Shintohism and Buddhism. Learning about these religions can help you to live in Japan. I am not saying to become a buddhist or Shintohist, just learning about the religions helps you to gain a much better foot hold in Japan, and less to be called a Gajin.
I disagree a little here too. Honestly you do not need to know jack squat about Japanese history. In fact I would say your average Japanese does not really know too much about their own history. Focus on the language, and learn the history (beyond the basics) only if you happen to have a real interest in it.

And about being less of a Gaijin... If you are white, you will been seen as a gaijin no matter how much language, culture, shintoism etc you learn. Knowing some of these things will make your life easier, and more enjoyable but you will not be seen as any less of gaijin by knowing them.