View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
88487 (Offline)
New to JF

Working as translator/interpreter - 02-04-2011, 03:06 PM

Hi,
I recently joined this forum because I'd like answers to some questions that have been lingering in my mind since forever.
Last year I finished high school and right now I'm having difficulties with planning out my future. I've been wanting to live in Japan for a long time. I'm fond of languages and I'm also pretty good at them, so I'd very much like to be a translator or interpreter. I'm planning on learning at least three foreign languages through courses in the upcoming three years and getting a master degree, probably in english. Hence my questions are: how big is the chance to get a job as translator/interpreter in Japan when being fluent in english, japanese, dutch and three more languages? Which languages should I choose to learn? Is it wise to get a master degree in english or should I choose another language, or something totally different?
Thanks in advance for your reply!

PS. please don't start nagging about me being unable to become fluent in four languages within four years, I know what I'm capable of.
PPS. don't judge my english skills by checking this post for mistakes, my english writing skills aren't something to be proud of, I know I need to change that.

Last edited by 88487 : 02-04-2011 at 05:24 PM.