(#6 (permalink))
Old
88487 (Offline)
New to JF

02-04-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
First, you mean 'p.p.s', not 'p.s.s.'

Anyways - I agree with Wings, but seeing as that's not what you want to hear I'll try to answer your questions. I would say English is certainly a fantastic choice to get a degree in, mainly because it is the current lingua franca, but I would question whether its necessary to take it to a masters level. I think if you have a degree in the language then its proof enough of understanding, and it may be best to focus on other areas rather than spending too much time on just English (because, frankly, unless you aim to be a university professor I'm not entirely sure how far a masters would take you anyway, or what it could do that a regular degree can't).

In regards to translating . . . some members of the site work in (or are getting degrees in) translating and may be able to offer advice. I think you would need certificates to prove that you are profficient in said langauges, and probably a degree in translating (or your chosen languages), in order to stand a chance.

I think your choices in languages would probably be best in English, as its a main one, or perhaps something like Chinese or Spanish (languages that are widely spoken, or of importance in the business world). European languages are always useful, but in Japan I would imagine more Asian languages would be better learnt: Korean, Chinese etc.

I have a feeling I'm going to get corrected by people though, lol, I'm no expert after all.
I indeed meant PPS, after after text. Would you happen to know which members are involved in translating and/or how to contact them? I'd like to ask them a few questions if they're okay with that. Thanks for the reply!