View Single Post
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-10-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeer187 View Post

Anyway, this summer I am planning on going overseas to continue training Muay Thai. Of course, Thailand is the place to be for Muay Thai, but I am really scared to go there. I do not speak the language, I know nothing about the culture, and I hear there are mosquitos that if you get bit you will be sick in a bed for 7 days. No thanks.
Thailand? You can get by really easily with English, unless you are way, waaaay out in the sticks, and even then you might be ok. The culture isn't impossibly difficult provided you learn a few key things (like touching heads is a no-no) and they're pretty used to foreign visitors anyway and for gods sakes, just keep up with your anti-malaria meds and use mozzie repellant/ a net if you don't want to be ill. You can get munched on by bugs in Japan or come down with a monster cold and end up stuck in bed for 7 days just as easily. But considering hundreds of thousands of dumb British teens, with no Thai language skills, no insight into the culture and no sense of self preservation, trample drunkenly up and down the country every year for months on end and usually survive, I should think you'd manage it just fine.