View Single Post
(#20 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-13-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmod View Post
the languages i speak are: german, french, arab, english + 2 arabic dialects.

btw: i know my english is a disaster
I wouldn't worry, your English is very good. Just so long as you can make your meaning clear - which you can - then I don't see a problem. No one is ever 100% perfect at a language anyway, unless they're native, and even then some native speakers of a language absolutely butcher it! I know my grammar is never always perfect. Well done on speaking so many languages, it's an achievement many people can't claim

I think - as someone said, I forget which poster - that German and French are very similiar to English. English is a Germanic language, we share many root words, but we also have a huge vocabularly from French and Latin. The writing system for European languages is also very similiar/the same. What I mean is that it was perhaps easier for you to learn those languages due to the similiarties, whereas Japanese has no similiarities whatsoever. It will be harder for you, and it will take a lot longer. The fact you seem adept at languages shows that you have the potential to master it - you will just need a lot of time and dedication, a lot of practise, and a good textbook and/or teacher.