View Single Post
(#4 (permalink))
Old
tipsygypsy (Offline)
wa gwaaan?

02-24-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I am not sure how old you are, but I have been a student of Japanese for more than 20 years, and to be honest, the interest in Japan might have been greater in the 80s and 90s than it is now in the US. I used to teach Japanese at a local private school, and they have phased it out, sadly. The start liking happened a long time ago. I would ask why people are now looking at other countries.

Thank you for the quick response. I am 34 now. And I had spent 2years in California in the mid 90s. And you maybe right at one point. Whole world was more interested in Japan more than these days at business level only because Japan had bigger economic power than now. But I never felt people around the world were interested in Japanese culture back then. My most intimate friends were Vietnamese and Mexican when I was in California. Most American people never looked so interested in hanging out with Japanese. I made more American friends after I came back to Japan than when I was in the states. Kinda strange isn't it? haha Anyway, thank you for your opinion.