View Single Post
(#270 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-08-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokusatsufan View Post
Excuse me,you facepalm when someone commits the heinous crime of saying they want to live in Japan and not having visited! Do you really expect them to have visited already? It's an expensive holiday! It's on the other side of the world. I wanted to live there before I'd visited. Going there only made me want to live there more! Yes,I did wobble but that was just because I'd watched some Australian guy on YouTube saying [at least mostly] how terrible living in Japan was! And do you know what I did? I stopped watching his videos. Because they were depressing.
I am not sure how this thread I started over two years ago got life breathed into it again, but I still think my original assertion is true. I would never recommend someone move to a foreign country without at least visiting it once. This is especially true when the one moving does not speak the native language of the host country, and the culture is as different as it is for Westerners.

And I do know people that "loved Japanese culture" before signing contracts and moving there sight unseen, and not only break their contracts and go home after a few months, but actually went more than a little crazy.