View Single Post
(#123 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-11-2011, 05:35 PM

It is hard to see the images on television of the disastrous tsunami in Miyagi-ken. I've spent time there in the past from Sendai to Mutsu Bay and it pains me to see the devastation. I don't know if having been there and other places in Japan makes me more empathic to this disaster because I am more connected to this than those in other countries. I hope it doesn't make me an insensitive person, but I do have this strange feeling. Has anyone experienced somewhat similar?

I will head back to Japan, and in my little bit of Japanese (romaji version-hey, still learning) I can say: Watashi wa nisen juni-nen ju-ichi gatsu ni hikoki de Nihon ni ikimasu.
And when I do go, I will make an effort to visit the area of Sendai and Mitushima to help the local economy as best I can. I was planning on going there to begin with, but now I have more determination to visit the area.

I do have a feeling the death toll will rival the Kanto earthquake in Kobe. I hope it doesn't get to those numbers, but I feel things look bad. I know the country will bounce back from this disaster and I hope it does so quickly and with the least amount of pain possible.