(#21 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-14-2011, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I am reading about rolling blackouts and very limited train usage along with long lines for transportation... I realize Tokyo isn't damaged like Touhoku, but it is really safe to say it is back to normal?
In terms of "damage" - yes, it`s pretty much back to normal.

The train usage is because of the *planned* blackouts, not track damage or passenger risk. They are splitting the movement of the trains between the blackout blocks so that they can keep service as regular as possible.

We have been asked to conserve electricity here also, and there were ideas passed around for doing blackouts here too that would have closed train lines, etc. (The idea was scrapped because they did the calculations and found that they would not be able to convert enough of the power on this side to that being used in eastern Japan.)
That wouldn`t have meant that things were not "pretty much back to normal" here.

There is a huge difference between being inconvenienced by planned, scheduled blackouts... And towns washed away with thousands dead. Screaming like Tokyo is now in a state of crisis is, in my opinion, a bit childish... Particularly when there are huge areas that have suffered real and serious damage. "Japan" is not back to normal, but "Tokyo" pretty much is.

ETA;
Oh, and by the way - when I said that, all lines in Tokyo were reported to be back in regular service. It was only later that they decided to close some of them for power conservation reasons.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.

Last edited by Nyororin : 03-14-2011 at 01:34 AM.